Need to know how to tell if AirPods are fake? These days scammers can replicate everything, and Apple items are no exception. It’s all about making a fast buck by riding the coattails of name brand products, but what they’re doing is theft. Thankfully, it isn’t hard to tell the real ones from the phonies before making a purchase no matter how good the replica appears.
How to Tell if AirPods are Fake before Making a Purchase
You might be tempted to save a few bucks by seeking the lowest price on Apple AirPods, but you won’t save anything if they’re fake. They may look just like the real deal, but they won’t sound the same. Besides, why wait until you have them in hand? If the seller is unscrupulous good luck with returns!
These are Genuine Apple AirPods –
How to tell the difference between fake AirPods and real ones before buying them –
- Know the going rate!
- Unless they’re stolen or used, people don’t sell them for far less than retail
- Compare high-quality photos of real AirPods and cases to those listed for sale
- Apple AirPods are only available in white
- Check listed weight
- How much does real Apple AirPods weigh? The charging case is 1.34 oz, and each one weighs 0.14 oz
- Look for listed dimensions
- A real case should be 1.74 by 0.84 by 2.11″ and each one should be 1.59″ long
- Consider the capabilities
- Real ones with a wireless charging case provide up to 18 hours of talk time and more than 24 hours of listening time
- Only shop Apple-certified retailers to avoid knock-offs
Ways to Spot Apple Knock-Offs after the Purchase
If you received Apple AirPods as a gift and you suspect they’re fake you’re probably right. Even very good duplicates aren’t exactly the same, and they can look and feel cheaply made.
Check all of the above and;
- Look up the serial number inside of the case to check the warranty coverage and status
- *If it has no code it’s certainly a knock-off!
- Check the shape of the microphone – real ones are oval-shaped and have a screen
- Real charging cases have a magnetic hold that you’ll feel
- Still unsure? Visit an Apple store for confirmation
*Some counterfeiters imprint a real AirPods serial number on their knock-offs. Google search the serial number to see what comes up. If it’s fake, chances are many others have performed the same search.